Monday, September 7, 2009

Fabric shopping: good boys, nosy granny

JoAnn Fabrics was having a few pretty good sales over labor day weekend. On top of it all, they had a coupon for 10% off your entire purchase Sunday and Monday, so that helps pay for tax. The boys and I went off to get a few supplies for our projects. The store was super busy, but we have learned to shop for fabric after getting a number for the cutting line so that helped speed things up a bit for us. The line to pay for purchases wrapped down and around the corner of the store, however, so we had a bit of a wait getting out.

While in line, Dominic and I were working on letters because there were several large font signs toward the end of our wait. He is getting really good at recognizing them even in different fonts, and we talk about words that start with the letters he's reading. He sometimes surprises me with his knowledge, and I like to work on reading words and letters with him because it's fun and will be tools he'll use in his future.

It was getting close to lunchtime so I had to make sure and give snacks to both the boys. Dominic was happily buckling up scrapbook suitcases at a nearby display, so I gave Elliott a few baby marshmallows as a treat. In that moment, Dominic must have leaned against a suitcase and knocked it off the display and toppled off after it. He caught himself well, and didn't get upset. He seemed more surprised than hurt... In the time I took to turn away from Elliott and assess what happened, a Granny a few places behind us voiced in a very sarcastic tone, "There goes your college education, why don't you soothe him now?"

Evidently, working with letters while in a long checkout line constitues a college education... AND it was assumed that I would not assist or comfort my son? Perhaps the long line got to nosy granny, or perhaps she didn't have any snacks and was experiencing low blood sugar? Either way, Dominic was just fine and brushed himself off and picked himself back up and was happily singing a song a few minutes later. Nosy Granny, thanks for judging me... go to H*LL!

1 comment:

Amy said...

That comment makes little to no sense. Sounds like a cranky old lady was just waiting to say something snotty to someone, and Dominic gave her some inspiration.

What is it with women in fabric stores. God knows I've had my own run-ins with people in a huge rush who seem ready to throw snide comments around while standing in the fabric line...hmph.